In case you missed it, I have an article in The Atlantic on the limits of the usual cultural appropriation/cultural appreciation debate. I suggest, instead, that “inappropriate” conversations about fashion – with a focus on what gets left out of processes of appropriation and what isn’t appropriate-able – provides a useful way out of the back-and-forth, we said-they said discursive cycle that hasn’t gotten us very far.
Threadbared isan evolving collaboration between two clotheshorse academics to discuss the politics, aesthetics, histories, theories, cultures and subcultures that go by the names "fashion" and "beauty."
intellectual goodsAll content 2007-2013 is copyrighted by Mimi Thi Nguyen and Minh-Ha T. Pham.
swap & spit
- ICYMI: A Case for Inappropriate Conversations About Fashion June 8, 2014
- “Asian Americans in Fashion” on CUNY TV October 16, 2013
- Why Fashion Should Stop Trying to be Diverse September 30, 2013
- The Techno-Orientalist, White Feminist History of “Harem Pants” August 27, 2013
- Meet the Burka Avenger! July 25, 2013
our tags are showingacademic Africa art Asian American designers Asianness blackness burqa CHEAP CHIC civic body class commodification consumption copyright disability ethical fashion exhibit FASHION 2.0 fashion blogging fashion philanthropy fat femininity feminism film France gender gender presentation hair hipster homelessness immigration indigeneity individualization Iran labor lifestyle politics Masculinity menswear Minoo Moallem model morality music Muslim native appropriations neoliberalism new digital work order new technologies New York City NYLON Of Another Fashion Orientalism photography politics punk queer race racial-sartorial profiling racism sales Sartorialist secondhand sexuality Spring fashion standardization style blog style icon teaching outfit textile arts thrifting Thuy Linh N. Tu Topshop uniform video VINTAGE POLITICS Vogue war
search our closets
- Just had sneak peek at @TheFunambulist_ "Clothing Politics" issue (avail Jan '16). *THIS* is how to think/write about fashion! #cannotwait 9 months ago
- RT @minh81: Le voilà! And the book is real. instagram.com/p/9YbKJQmOFGjW… 11 months ago
- RT @minh81: I'm in excellent co. w/ Reina Lewis, Ashley Mears ++ "Between Catwalk & Consumer: Fashion’s Growing Diversity Gap" http://t.co/… 11 months ago
- RT @minh81: Lisa asked me to provide commentary on an earlier version of this + I *really* need to work on my radio voice. lol. https://t.c… 11 months ago
- RT @minh81: Congrats @brookeerinduffy + @emilyadh! So in line w/ my book (@DUKEpress) that maps blogging to racial labor history https://t.… 12 months ago